Blog Post #5 (Two Types of Folklore)

 


The two Folklore books that I chose to read were Cinderella and The Three Billy Goats Gruff. The Cinderella book that I read was illustrated by Ed Bryan. I really love this version of Cinderella because it's the same beautiful story, but modernized a little more with Ed Bryan's Illustrations. For example, at the end when it says Cinderella and the Prince lived happily ever after the illustration is of them playing ping-pong in the palace. I just think kids would really enjoy these updated illustrations to go along with story they've heard time and time again. Cinderella falls under the type of Folklore known as Fairy Tales. The Three Billy Goats Gruff book that I read was a version retold and illustrated by Janet Stevens. The Three Billy Goats Gruff is a story that falls under the type of Folklore known as Folktales. I was familiar with the folktale of The Three Billy Goats Gruff, but it had been a while since I had read it. It was great to reread it. The illustration that Janet Stevens did in this book were vivid especially when it came to the troll. The troll is described as, "a great ugly troll with eyes as big as saucers and a nose as long as a poker" and Janet Stephens did an amazing job at illustrating one ugly looking troll! 

These two stories both fall under folklore, but such different stories. Cinderella is a story of magic and happiness while Three Billy Goats Gruff is a story of animals using a trick to solve their problem while also providing a lesson to the reader about being greedy. Each of these books students would enjoy because who doesn't enjoy a book with a happy ending. An activity I would love to do with my students would be to have them write a different ending to these stories and see what they come up with. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Among the Hidden

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

The War That Saved My Life