Blog Post #3 (Los Gatos Black)

 


The award winning book I chose to read for blog post #3 is Los Gatos Black Marisa Montes and illustrated by Yuyi Morales. Los Gatos Black received the Pura Belpre Award for writing AND illustrations in 2008. 

This is a book to read around halloween. I absolutely love the integration of some Spanish words. This makes it where I can still read it as a teacher, but I would be able to connect with my Spanish speaking students as they hear words in their own language. There is enough context in each sentence that it still allows students who only speak English to comprehend. However, this would be such a great opportunity to allow the Spanish speakers to be proud of their language which is so important to encourage as a teacher. I think kids would absolutely love this book because it does have the spooky halloween creatures which is always fun, but [SPOILER] at the end the thing that all the monsters are scared of is the kids who come to the door and say "Trick or Treat!"It made me laugh when I read it, so I know students would LOVE it! Oh, and a bonus of this book is that it rhymes which is so fun and great for early readers!


"Then from the door comes tres loud raps. What could it be? Is it perhaps...? The music stops. Each creature gasps. And suddenly the door unclasps. La puerta creeks...it opens wide. The things are coming! Run and hide! They hold up bags, yell "TRICK OR TREAT!" Los monstruos beat a quick retreat. The things that monsters most abhor are human ninos at the door." Los Gatos Black by Marissa Montes


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

Among the Hidden

When Everybody Wore a Hat