Blog Post #7 Slice of Life (Hula Hoop Adventures)

"Okay, everyone have their hula hoops ready?" I ask. Heads adorned in hijabs and 6 small, masked faces look back at me with pure excitement. "Remember, you want to try and be the last one to let your hula hoop touch the ground!" I explain. Hands tightly grip the hula hoop and sparkling, dark brown eyes look at me eagerly to begin the countdown. "3, 2, 1, Go!" I exclaim. All the hula hoops start spinning, little bodies moving inside them keeping the colorful hoops from stopping. "Y'all are doing so great! Keep it up, Usman!" I encourage. I smile as the sound of giggles escapes from the lips of each kid inside their hula hoop. "Just sit inside your hula hoop once it falls!" I instruct. Riyaz. Saifullah. Nasrina. 3 looks of disappointment glance my way. "Y'all gave it your best! Let's cheer on our friends!" I encourage. Hands clap and shouts of "you can do it" fill the air. Usman. Roya. Zahara leaps with joy before Roya's hula hoop even settled on the ground. "Zahara is our winner! Let's give her a round of applause!" The sound of tiny clapping hands makes its way around in a circle. "I love playing hula hoop games with you! It's kind of like-" I start to say. "Can we do it again?!" exclaims Zahara.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

Among the Hidden

When Everybody Wore a Hat