Blog Post #6 (Book, Head, & Heart)

 Some of my book connections were that this story is about a boy named Jordan who is starting at a new Private School, even though he'd rather be starting Art School. In this book we see Jordan's journey as he faces challenges such as fitting in, racism, and typical, every day middle school struggles. When it comes to my "head" connections, my thinking was changed while I was reading because, at first, I was reading it as all white people being displayed as Andy. However, as I kept reading, I realized the author was trying to display hardships through Jordan's experiences. My "heart" connection is tied to my "head" connection because I was definitely flustered at first with white people being represented by Andy because I know that I, personally, try my best to treat everyone like they are important and valuable. However, as I continued to read my heart changed because I saw myself reflected in Liam. So, even though there are definitely people in the world that act like Andy, but there are also Liams in the world too. 

So, I don't have a classroom yet, but my hope is to teach Kindergarten, so a way I would use the BHH strategy in my classroom would be throughout and after read-alouds. As teachers, we use many of these questions from the BHH strategy during read-alouds already. However, if we model this strategy and then include our students in it by having them share answers to these questions with the class or maybe during a "turn and talk" time, then we're preparing them to use the strategy once they begin reading on their own. 

Once they become familiar with this strategy as it's presented in read-alouds, it can even be incorporated during small group time when they are reading. This would allow my emerging readers to continue to focus on reading comprehension even in their level of texts. This same idea would really benefit my gifted students in diving deeper into their higher level texts and making those important book, head, and heart connections. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

Among the Hidden

When Everybody Wore a Hat