The Stinky Cheese Man and other Fairly Stupid Tales

I read The Stinky Cheese Man and other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka & Lane Smith. This book received the Caldecott Honor Medal in 1993 and the Texas Bluebonnet Award in 1995. This book is absolutely hilarious, and I've never read any book like it! My favorite part of this book is how a character, Jack, is a narrator and he's affected by the story, pages, and even the words. It's honestly hard to give a summary of this book, but pretty much it's a group of fairytales that have had major changes to their storylines and it's super funny! In The Princess and the Frog, the frog tricks the princess to just get a free kiss. In Little Red Riding Hood (Running Shorts), Jack, the narrator ruins the story, so they leave their story refusing to tell it. Then instead of the gingerbread man, it's the Stinky Cheese Man who no one will chase no matter how fast he runs because he stinks so bad. I absolutely loved this book and the humor that's throughout it. I think the appropriate grade level for this book would be second to twelfth grade. I would definitely read this book in my future classroom, and the way I would incorporate it would be for each student to look up a classic fairytale and give their own alternate ending or change of story. I absolutely love the humor and creativity this book portrays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

Among the Hidden

When Everybody Wore a Hat