The Magic School Bus: At The Waterworks

I read The Magic School Bus: At The Waterworks by Joanna Cole. This books received the 1989 Washington Children's Choice Picture Book Award. I love how all the Magic School Bus books take non-fiction content, and portray it in a fun, engaging, and creative way that kids can really appreciate and dive into. This specific Magic School Bus book was about Ms. Frizzle's class learning about water. On just about every page there is a different fact about water. The class goes on a field trip by truly living life as water starting by being evaporated into the clouds, being rained down in water droplets, being purified, and coming out of the bathroom faucet. If only, as teachers, we could take our students on such engaging field trips. However, this book does a great job of pulling the reader in, and making science fun. I think the appropriate grade level for this book would be first grade to fourth grade. I would use this book in my classroom. A great unit to apply this book to in the classroom would be when studying the water cycle. I love how this book focuses on the purifying stage that water has to go through, and I think that is important for kids to know. I think it would be awesome for my students to make their own chart of the waterworks just like Ms. Frizzle's class did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Among the Hidden

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

The War That Saved My Life