The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend

I read The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend by Dan Santat. This book received the Caldecott Medal in 2015. This is a super cute book that takes a new twist on the idea of imaginary friends. The story is about an imaginary friend that is so excited for a child to imagine him, but he waits and waits and no one ever does. So, he decided to go on a grand journey to go find his friend in the real world. But, this place isn't as bright as he thought it would be and he still can't find his friend, so he gives up. However, a young girl named Alice finds him, names him Beekle, they become friends, and do the unimaginable. I absolutely loved this book. I think the appropriate grade level for this book would be pre-k to fourth grade. I would use this book in my classroom because it's about imaginary friends which is not something that is talked about often, but kids still have imaginary friends. The way I would use this book in my classroom is to have each child create their own (un)imaginary friend, and write about their journey to meet each other. This activity would encourage creativity, art, and writing skills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

Among the Hidden

When Everybody Wore a Hat