Shiloh

I read Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. This book received the Newbery Medal Award. I had read this book when I was younger, and remembered loving it. However, I had forgot the characters and main storyline. Shiloh is about a family of a mom, dad, two young girls, and Marty who is the oldest child. Marty loves the outdoors, and finds this dog that he falls in love with. However, this dog ends up belonging to Jud Travers who is known for abusing his dogs. Marty decides to hide the dog to protect him. Marty named the dog Shiloh. Sadly, another big dog attacked Shiloh at night. Marty and his dad take Shiloh to the doctor who saves Shiloh. However, Jud Travers is not happy to hear that Marty had been hiding his dog. Marty makes a deal with Jud Travers to work for him for two weeks to buy Shiloh so he can keep him. In the end, Marty gets to keep Shiloh, and Shiloh is saved from being abused from Jud Travers. I think the appropriate grade level for this book would be third grade to ninth grade. I would use this book in my classroom because it allows for kid’s emotional heart strings to be pulled. I really think this book is very humbling, and shows kids that everyone, even animals, should be treated with kindness. An activity I would use in my classroom to incorporate this book would be with parts of a story like problem, solution, and conclusion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Among the Hidden

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

The War That Saved My Life