Under The Sun And Over The Moon

I read Under The Sun And Over The Moon pictures by Ian Penney and verse by Kevin Crossley-Holland. This book won the British Design and Production Award for 1990. This book is a poetry counting book, and I didn't realize that until I started reading it. The focus of the book is 10 secret gardens, and collecting the amount of the certain thing(s) from each garden putting it/them in the magic bag. By the end of the book, you've counted to ten. Something I really enjoy about this book is that along with counting, it's also an "I-Spy" book by encouraging the reader to find what is described. The appropriate grade level for this book would be pre-k and kindergarten because this is the age they put a focus on counting, and rhyming is a bonus for that age group. Another thing I love about this book are some higher level vocabulary words used throughout the book which is great for younger readers to be exposed to these words. I would use this book in my classroom to mesh the simplicity of counting with the joys of reading. I absolutely love when subjects cross over because I think it makes it more enjoyable for kids.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Among the Hidden

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

The War That Saved My Life