NOT NORMAN: A Goldfish Story

I read NOT NORMAN: A Goldfish Story by Kelly Bennett. This book was Jumpstart's: Read for the Record book in 2015. This book is about a little boy who wanted a pet and got a goldfish named Norman, but he wanted a different kind of pet, not Norman. Throughout the story, the little boy is set on trading Norman for a different pet, but slowly but surly the little boy realizes how great Norman actually is. Norman is there for the little boy when he needs a laugh, needs someone to listen, or when he's scared. In the end, the little boy goes to the pet store, and sees all the great pets, but they're not Norman. I love this book because it's cute, but also teaches the importance of really seeing the value in the people and things in our lives. I would definitely use this book in my future classroom. I think the appropriate grade level for this book would be pre-k to fourth grade. One way I would use this book in my classroom would be to incorporate it in math by making a bar graph of everyone's favorite type of pet in the class, and the book would be the focus to get them thinking about pets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Among the Hidden

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

The War That Saved My Life