Miss Nelson is Missing!

I read Miss Nelson is Missing! by James Marshall. This book hasn't received any major awards. This book is about a class that is the worst-behaved class in the whole school, and their teacher Miss Nelson decides there has to be something done about this. So, the next day, Miss Nelson doesn't show up for class, but a new teacher names Miss Viola Swamp does. The kids definitely realize that they had it so much easier with Miss Nelson. Miss Swamp makes them do endless work, and even cancels story hour. The kids decide that they should try to find Miss Nelson, so they go to the local detective who doesn't seem like he'll be much help. The kids come up with bizarre ideas of what could have happened to Miss Nelson, but no one can quite figure it out. In the end, Miss Nelson returns unwilling to say where she had been, and the kids are so grateful to have her back that they are much better behaved. However, the reader is able to tell that Miss Nelson was secretly Miss Viola Swamp. I love this book, and would definitely use it in my classroom because I think it really requires students to think about what Miss Nelson's secret really is. I think the appropriate grade level for this book would be kindergarten to sixth grade. The way I would incorporate this book in my classroom would be to stop mid-book and have my students draw/write what THEY think happened to Miss Nelson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Among the Hidden

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

The War That Saved My Life