Life Doesn't Frighten Me

I read the book Life Doesn't Frighten Me the poem is by Maya Angelou and the paintings are by Jean-Michel Basquiat. There are no major award found for this work. This was a very interesting piece of children's poetry simply because the content along with the illustrations are very unique. The overall point of the book would be all the things in the world that might seems scary, especially to kids, but overcoming your fears by saying it doesn't frighten you at all. The book starts and ends with "Life doesn't frighten me at all." I think the appropriate grade level for this book would be 1st to 3rd grade. I think some of the content in the book might be a little much for some kindergarteners, but I think once they're in 1st grade they're more capable of separating real from fake. I think this is a great book for kids to see a different kind of art. I love how the biography of the illustrator is in the back of the book as well. Some kids would be fascinated to read about his journey as an artist. A way I would use this book in my classroom would be to show a very different type of art. To encourage them to always create. Then have them choose another poetry book and compare and contrast the content and the illustrations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Among the Hidden

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

The War That Saved My Life