Interrupting Chicken

I read the book Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein. This book is a Caldecott Honor Book. This book is an animal fantasy because both of the main characters are chickens who talk. The story is about how Papa is reading Little Red Chicken a story to get him to fall asleep. However, Little Red Chicken keeps interrupting the bedtime stories with this creative, alternative ending. In the end, Little Red Chicken tells Papa a story that ends up making Papa fall asleep. This is a super cute book, and the repetitive nature of the book makes it interactive for kids. I think the appropriate grade level for this book would be pre-k to second grade. One way I would use this book in my classroom would be to introduce the idea of creating alternative endings. The assignment would be for each student to pick their favorite book, but to add their own creative ending. I would encourage them to be the authors and illustrators of their new book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Among the Hidden

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

The War That Saved My Life