Ellen's Broom

I read Ellen's Broom by Kelly Starling Lyons. This book received the Coretta Scott King Book Award in 2013. I absolutely loved the illustrations in this book. The illustration on the cover is what caught my eye for this book because it's bright, colorful, and done extremely well. The story is in the time right after slaves were free, and the more specific focus in this story is that previous slave couples could now legally be married. So, Ellen's parents were already married in the eyes of God, but they wanted to be married in the eyes of the law as well. Ellen's parents told the story of how they were originally married, and the tradition of the broom which Ellen absolutely loved. In the end, Ellen decides that when she gets married she's going to keep the broom tradition alive. This was such a sweet story, and I would definitely read it in my future classroom in history when finishing up slavery. I think this is a beautiful story that portrays the happiness that freedom brought to the slaves. I think the appropriate grade level for this book would be kindergarten to sixth grade. One specific way I would incorporate this book in my classroom would be to bring about discussion on the idea of traditions. It would be so great to hear and have kids write/draw pictures of the traditions they have in their family. A secondary part of this activity would be for kids to do research on the different traditions of different countries!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Among the Hidden

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

The War That Saved My Life