Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst. This book received the ALA Notable Children's Books award. This book focuses on a boy named Alexander who definitely doesn't have the best day(that's an understatement). Starting with waking up with gum in his hair, ending with the pet cat wanting to sleep with his brother instead of him, and with a wide range of terrible, horrible, no good, very bad things in between. I love the last line of the book though which is, "My mom says some days are like that." This is something that everyone can relate to because we all have bad days sometimes, and that's okay. I would definitely use this book in my future classroom, and I think it would be the perfect book to read when there's just a day in the classroom where it's obvious that majority of everyone just aren't having that great of a day. I think the appropriate grade level for this book would range from pre-k all the way to high school just because the message that is portrayed in this book is relatable at any age. I think another good way to use this book in the classroom would be with class management, and simply being kind to one another. This book helps kids see from a different perspective other than their own. I think using this book to help kids understand to always choose kind because you never know if someone is just having a bad day, and how maybe if Alexander would have had just one person do something nice for him his whole day might have changed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Among the Hidden

Blog Post #1 (Childhood Reading)

The War That Saved My Life